Tuesday, February 7, 2012

is Huck a racist?

Huck is not a racist.  Owning a slave does not make someone a racist.  It is not right for someone to own another human, but that is how things worked in that time period.  Huck and Jim were best friends at this point.  Huck had thought about maybe returning Jim to Miss. Watson, but he couldn't do that to him.  He didn't want to put Jim in misery.  "All right, then, I’ll GO to hell’ — and tore it up" (Twain 291).  Huck feels horrible for making Jim go through all that.  It was normal in society to own slaves.  People didn't think to much of it, and neither did Huck.  People didn't think others were racist because they owned a slave, it was acceptable.  Huck was never rude or mean towards Jim.  


Huck was good to his slaves.  He had respect for them.  When he was with the Grnagerson's he respected Buck.  Buck was always there for him and Huck couldn't be anything but nice to him.  Huck was very good towards both Jim and Buck.  "When I got down out of the tree I crept along down the river bank a piece, and found the two bodies laying in the edge of the water, and tugged at them till I got them ashore; then I covered up their faces, and got away as quick as I could. I cried a little when I was covering up Buck’s face, for he was mighty good to me" (161).  Huck felt that they didn't deserve the harsh treatment that they got.  Huck had respect for Buck by doing this.  By having respect for someone, usually means they are accepted for every bit of them.  Not certain parts.

1 comment:

  1. You have good ideas, but you could have gone into more detail to support them. Look at providing a deeper analysis in future posts.

    ReplyDelete